Bentota (city in Sri Lanka) is filled with very many activities that you can indulge in. Ranging from water sports activities to a vibrant nightlife, these activities can turn your vacation into a perfect picture of memories. Below are the top ten things to do in Bentota.
• Kenneliya covers about 10,140 hectares.
• In 2004, UNESCO delegated it as a biosphere reserve.
• Apart from the Sinharaja forest, Kanneliya is recognised as the only existing rain-forest in Sri Lanka.
• In terms of flora, it is among the richest areas in the entire south Asia.
Maduganga River Safari
• On this safari, you are presented with an opportunity to cruise through a host of small islands and the mangroves.
• The Maduganga River is surrounded by glorious natural beauty.
• Some of the activities that you can do along this river include lagoon fishing and boat rides.
• Considered to be among the only few enduring territories of untouched mangrove forests in Sri Lanka, Maduganga wetland is the place that every nature lover should visit.
Explore Sinharaja Forest Reserve
• This forest reserve covers a number of provinces & districts in Sri Lanka.
• Sinharaja is also a biodiversity hotspot and national park.
• The reserve has an area of approximately 22 by 7 km.
• Some of the species found in Sinharaja forest reserve include mammals, reptiles, amphibians, insects, birds and trees.
Take a Trip in the Brief Garden
• The Brief Garden was developed by Sri Lanka’s well-known artist, Bevis Bawa, for more than 15 years.
• The garden is distinguished for its blossoming vegetation, and it sits on 5-acres of land.
• Brief Garden is filled with a variety of plants, trees and sculptures which represent the energies that were out in it (the garden) by Bevis Bawa.
• To this very day, the Brief continues to be maintained in the same way just as Bevis Bawa envisioned it to be.
Enjoy a scenic tour on the Cycle Track
• This cycle tour goes across scenic paddy fields.
• On this tour, you will also have the opportunity to see the 125-years old Katukoliha temple, Dutch architectural houses, Dedduwa Lake and the Mullegoda temple.
• If you’re a nature lover, this is another trip that you should never miss.
Visit Dutch Fort
• Now recognised as a world heritage site, this prehistoric Dutch fort is found in Galle.
• The fort includes interesting sites such as the original gateway, the light house, traditional Dutch buildings and others.
Take a Trip to the Lunuganga Estate
• This was the country home of Sri Lanka’s famous architect, Geofrey Bawa (brother to Bevis Bawa).
• The estate’s rare flora makes it the real treat for all lovers of nature.
• You can visit the garden any day of the week between 9a.m and 5p.m. The entrance fee is paid at the gate.
Dolphin and Whale Watching
• This is a thrilling activity which is worth the early morning cruise from Mirissa harbour to the deep sea.
• This activity presents you with the opportunity to spend over one hour watching the world’s largest mammals.
Visit Kande Viharaya Temple
• Located in Aluthgama (near Bentota), this temple has the world’s tallest sitting Buddha statue. The statue has a height of about 48m.
• The temple was initiated in 1734.
• Thousands of followers, who are seeking for spiritual and mental relief from all worries and troubles of life, gather at the holy grounds of this temple every day.
• Kande Viharaya brings an imaginable serenity and tranquillity in the visitors’ hearts.
Visit the Beruwela Fishing Harbour
• This commercial fishing harbor is just a 10 to 15 minutes’ drive from Bentota by tuk tuk.
• The best visiting time is around 7a.m in the morning. At this time, the night fishing boats are still loaded with fresh fish.
If you want to experience the very best of Island living, obtain a Sri Lanka Visa and head straight to Bentota. In its 10-15 km radius, Bentota is filled with a wide variety of fascinating attractions and activities.